The Patterson Organ
The organ used in the Olivet installation was originally constructed in 1926 by the well known organ building firm of Austin Organs, Inc. The work was Opus 1365, built for the Second Presbyterian Church in Evanston, Illinois. It served in its original home until 1978 when the church united with the First Presbyterian Church in Evanston.
It should be noted that this organ was chosen, not as an historic instrument to be preserved, but rather as a source of seasoned and time proven material on which to build a new organ blending the romantic and classic ideals desired by the Olivet congregation.
Patterson Organs Inc., the builder, used nineteen of the original ranks of pipe in the new thirty-four rank organ. All of the pipe work was revoiced to blend well with the new principals and mixtures in the Great Division. The result is an ensemble with surprisingly pleasant tonal characteristics. Some additional pipework was purchased and some was obtained by trading the unused Austin pipes. The Trompette En Chamade was mounted horizontally on the back wall of the balcony to add color to fanfares and trumpet tunes. Two independent electronic systems were acquired for thirty-two foot octaves of Bombarde and Violone to play in the Pedal Division. An interesting deviation from traditional pipe building are the many aluminum pipes in the eight and four foot principals in the Great Division. These pipes were manufactured in Minneapolis by Justin and Mark Matters.
The wind chests incorporate mostly electro-mechanical action, although some electro-pneumatic action is used for certain ranks. An electronic digital relay is used to send signals to the wind chests when keys or stop tablets are depressed. The digital relay control center requires only a fraction of the available space in the original four manual console. The mechanical functions of the console were rebuilt. The console exterior was refinished to match the white and cherry décor of the sanctuary interior. Ivory key surfaces were retained and replaced as necessary.
The new Patterson organ contains six divisions - Great, Swell, Choir, Bombarde, Pedal, and prepared for Solo Division. Olivet Church hopes to use some of the remaining Austin pipe work at a later date. The majority of the Great Division is located in front of the Swell Division Chamber, newly constructed on the left side of the balcony, and plays on low wind pressure. The Choir Division is located to the rear center of the balcony in a separate chamber. The Pedal Division, Bombarde, and two ranks from the Great Division are on the floor area under the Choir Division. Patterson Organs used the limited space available most efficiently for 2,052 pipes plus Chimes and Harp.
The addition of new wind regulators, tremolos and blower in conjunction with the new wind chests, digital relay and rebuilt console virtually makes this a new organ.
Olivet United Methodist Church
3620 43rd Ave N
Robbinsdale, MN 55422-1535
Rev. Dr. Randall K Taber | firstname.lastname@example.org
(763) 537-8351 | Fax: (763) 536-8161
Sunday School: 9:00 AM (except summer) | Praise Hymns: 9:45 AM
Worship: 10:00 AM | (Youth Sunday School during worship except during summer)